Mr. Evaggelos Karvounis
Department of Computer Engineering, Technological Educational Institute of Epirus, Greece
Mr. Evaggelos Karvounis, Department of Computer Engineering, Technological Educational Institute of Epirus, Greece
TECHNOLOGICAL EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTE (T.E.I.) OF EPIRUS eHEALTH/TeleHEALTH
Fighting Parkinson’s symptoms with a Glove and a smart phone.
AEON Health project - ambulatory monitoring of motor functions in patients with Parkinson's disease
(PD) using wearable sensors and devices, has been awarded with the pHEALTH innovation award (pHEALTH 2010, Berlin, Germany). “Most Innovative Solution” and the “Best Use of Resources” in the MIT Media Lab competition “Health and Wellness Innovation 2013”. The project introduces a novel platform based on a special purpose GIS and a methodology for the monitoring and record keeping of the factors that influence the quantity and the quality of olives and the major sub product the olive oil, a traditional and high-interest cultivation in western Greece and South-Eastern Italy.
The goal of IRMA is to establish a network of knowledge and expertise exchange which will lead to the development of practical irrigation management tools for demand-driven capitalization of scientific knowledge and good practices.
The project outputs include irrigation survey, application manuals, development of a web tool based on meteorological data, satellite images and GIS mapping for irrigation management counselling, research results and creation of a networking and training platform
These will lead to direct water, energy and thus money savings. The outputs because of their character have the potential to be directly implemented in broader areas of both countries (Greece, Italy)
Sensor Applications for a Smarter World
- Smart Parking: Monitoring of parking spaces availability in the city.
- Structural health: Monitoring of vibrations and material conditions in buildings, bridges and historical monuments.
- Noise Urban Maps: Sound monitoring in bar areas and centric zones in real time.
- Smartphone Detection: Detect iPhone and Android devices and in general any device which works with WiFi or Bluetooth interfaces.
- Eletromagnetic Field Levels: Measurement of the energy radiated by cell stations and and WiFi routers.
- Traffic Congestion: Monitoring of vehicles and pedestrian levels to optimize driving and walking routes.
- Smart Lighting: Intelligent and weather adaptive lighting in street lights.
- Waste Management: Detection of rubbish levels in containers to optimize the trash collection routes.
- Smart Roads: Intelligent Highways with warning messages and diversions according to climate conditions and unexpected events like accidents or traffic jams.
- Forest Fire Detection: Monitoring of combustion gases and preemptive fire conditions to define alert zones.
- Air Pollution: Control of CO2 emissions of factories, pollution emitted by cars and toxic gases generated in farms.
- Snow Level Monitoring: Snow level measurement to know in real time the quality of ski tracks and allow security corps avalanche prevention.
- Landslide and Avalanche Prevention: Monitoring of soil moisture, vibrations and earth density to detect dangerous patterns in land conditions.
- Earthquake Early Detection: Distributed control in specific places of tremors.
- Potable water monitoring: Monitor the quality of tap water in cities.
- Chemical leakage detection in rivers: Detect leakages and wastes of factories in rivers.
- Swimming pool remote measurement: Control remotely the swimming pool conditions.
- Pollution levels in the sea: Control real-time leakages and wastes in the sea.
- Water Leakages: Detection of liquid presence outside tanks and pressure variations along pipes.
- River Floods: Monitoring of water level variations in rivers, dams and reservoirs.
- Wine Quality Enhancing: Monitoring soil moisture and trunk diameter in vineyards to control the amount of sugar in grapes and grapevine health.
- Green Houses: Control micro-climate conditions to maximize the production of fruits and vegetables and its quality.
- Golf Courses: Selective irrigation in dry zones to reduce the water resources required in the green.
- Meteorological Station Network: Study of weather conditions in fields to forecast ice formation, rain, drought, snow or wind changes.
- Compost: Control of humidity and temperature levels in alfalfa, hay, straw, etc. to prevent fungus and other microbial contaminants.
Smart Animal Farming
- Hydroponics: Control the exact conditions of plants grown in water to get the highest efficiency crops.
- Offspring Care: Control of growing conditions of the offspring in animal farms to ensure its survival and health.
- Animal Tracking: Location and identification of animals grazing in open pastures or location in big stables.
- Toxic Gas Levels: Study of ventilation and air quality in farms and detection of harmful gases from excrements.
- Fall Detection: Assistance for elderly or disabled people living independent.
- Medical Fridges: Control of conditions inside freezers storing vaccines, medicines and organic elements.
- Sportsmen Care: Vital signs monitoring in high performance centers and fields.
- Patients Surveillance: Monitoring of conditions of patients inside hospitals and in old people's home.
- Ultraviolet Radiation: Measurement of UV sun rays to warn people not to be exposed in certain hours.